12 Ways to Use Old Newspaper
Did you know :
- 324 liters of water is used to make 1 kilogram of paper.
- 10 liters of water is needed to make one piece of A4 paper.
- 93% of paper comes from trees.
- 50% of the waste of businesses is composed of paper.
- To print a Sunday edition of the New York Times requires 75,000 trees!
- Recycling 1 ton of paper saves around 682.5 gallons of oil, 26,500 liters of water and 17 trees.
- Packaging makes up 1/3 or more of our trash.
- U.S offices use 12.1 trillion sheets of paper a year.
- Paper accounts for 25% of landfill waste and 33% of municipal waste.
- With all the paper we waste each year, we can build a 12 foot high wall of paper from New York to California!
- 42% of all global wood harvest is used to make paper.
- To produce paper takes twice the energy used to produce a plastic bag. *facts from The World Counts
If we’re going to continue to consume paper, let’s take a look at a few ways we can get more use out of it. Let’s focus on newspapers.
Find new uses for your old newspapers instead of throwing them away.
Set a side all the colored comic paper for a fun way to wrap up gifts!
Line your flower beds with a half inch of newspaper and then cover with mulch! It’s a great weed barrier!
Scrunch it up and use it for packing material. Way better for the environment than Styrofoam or packing peanuts, and much cheaper!
Put it down on the bottom of the cat litter box before putting down the litter. (Great for absorbing)
Rip it into strips, roll it, or press it into firebricks – all for starting your winter fires.
Make book covers!
Wrap your apples in newspaper to keep them from rotting.
Make germinating pots! Dampen newspaper and form into pots. When dry it will hold its shape. When you plant, you can put the whole pot into the ground.
Cover your tender plants with newspaper when an early frost comes.
Use a wad of newspaper to gain traction under your car wheels.
Use newspaper to unscrew a hot light bulb.
Clean your windows! Instead of paper towels, use a sheet of scrunched up newspaper to wipe your cleaner off!
Latest posts by Sheila Burke (see all)
- How to Become an Advocate - 12/04/2017
- Rid Your Space of Negative Energy: Sage, Cedar, and More - 11/13/2017
- New Gear at Being Better Humans - 11/07/2017