Need to release some negative vibes, bad juju, or funk? Burning cedar is a great way to do that. It’s a great way to clear old energies off things too like old books, antiques that brought energies with them, or vintage items.
Rid Your Space of Negative Energy: Sage, Cedar, and More
What is white sage and what is it used for?
Are you feeling out of sorts, lethargic, “off”, uninspired, funky, or drained? You probably need to clear your energy and the energy of your space. Whether it’s negative energy or just blocked energy, every now and then you need to clear it out.
Using sage to clear out energy is nothing new, it’s been used for thousands of years throughout the world. As sage burns, it floods the space with negative ions that in turn create a positive environment and feeling. No different than the way you feel after getting out of a shower or running through the raindrops.
It’s also used for sending spirits from your space as they can drain your energy and they need to move on into the light. Native American Shamans would use the sage smoke to absorb anger, illness, evil, and conflict and clear those negative things from a persons energy field.
Smudging Ceremony with white sage.
- Open all doors, drawers, closets, spaces and nooks. Close windows and doors to the outside.
- Use a sage stick or loose sage. Place it on or in a heat safe bowl or shell. Light the sage and gently blow out the flame, using only the smoke. Once you have a good amount of smoke flowing, use a feather, your hand or gently blow the smoke as you go throughout your home.
- Ask that the sage protect your energy and your space as you start the smudging process.
- Start in the lower level of your home and work up, letting the smoke creep into all areas of each room and each space. Walk with smooth movements and speak softly.
- Say a prayer or chant for all negative energy to dispel and instruct it to move toward the light. If you are ridding your home of spirits, gently ask the spirit to leave your home and look for the light. You could suggest that they find a funeral home where there is always a light there in which to cross over.
- Start with the farthest area of your home and work toward the front door. Hit all corners of the room and around windows/doors.
- Close with a prayer of gratitude and open a door to let the negative energy out.
- Let the sage burn out on its own or gently tap the stick on a fire safe plate or bowl.
- When you move into a new living home /apartment
- When you start a new job or venture
- After a guest leaves your home
- Before and after a healing session or meditation
- When you feel off kilter, drained, or funky
- After an illness
- After an argument
- If strange things are happening (experiencing energies/spirits)
Cleansing yourself, an object, or another person
Light the tip of your sage stick and blow on the flame so the flame goes out and you have just smoke. Fan the smoke out gently, with your hand or a feather, or by simply lightly blowing the smoke. Begin with a prayer of intention. Start low to the ground and let the smoke go around you or the person from feet to head. Visualize the smoke taking away the negative energy in your life. Close with a prayer of gratitude.
Other ways to cleanse and clear
1. Burn cedar to declutter.
2. Burn yerba santa or sweetgrass for loving vibes.
Yerba santa and sweetgrass are both great for self-care and healing a broken heart. It’s great for a pick-me-up. When you feel as if you need a bit of polishing on your attitude, light a bit of sweetgrass and let the smoke waft around you!
3. Burn rosemary for new beginnings.
Need a fresh start? Burn Rosemary. Great for habits you’ve broken, ideas and energy you have left behind, embarking a new path, or getting yourself open to new ventures.
4. Burn juniper for comfort.
Juniper is not only soothing and comforting but it creates a sacred energy and helps you get into your flow.
5. Burn resins for purification.
Resins like frankincense have been used throughout history. Probably best to use a charcoal puck to light a pinch of resin as it doesn’t burn easily on its own. Make sure the puck is on a heat resistant surface like a plate or bowl.
Frankincense is used to quiet the monkey mind (a mind that races). It’s great for meditation. Since ancient times it has been said that the smoke of frankincense will carry prayers to heaven.
Myrrh is used to quiet the mind and sync the energy centers within the body. Great for burning before meditations, yoga, and Tai Chi.
6. Burn sandalwood for grounding.
Sandlewood cones when lit fills the air with a lot of grounding and balancing aroma.
7. Use Himalayan salt lamps.
Salt lamps release negative ions into the air and create feelings of peace. They are ideal for places that you are not permitted to burn incense.
Need a quick release of negative vibes and don’t have time to do any of the above? Open a window! It will help until you can do a proper cleanse.
To make your own sage sticks:
1. Grow your sage
2. Harvest sage by clipping 10-12 inch branches from the plant.
3. Bring inside and let wilt 24 hours.
Then, separate into desired sized piles for your smudge sticks (remember the plants will shrink down a bit)
4. With hemp twine, tie bundle tightly together at the bottom near the stems. Wind the twine upwards around the bundle as you move up the bundle and then back down tightly as you wind it around the bundle heading toward the place you started at the bottom near the stems.
5. Cut your twine leaving enough to tie it off tightly at the bottom of your stick.
Let dry about 2 weeks.
Latest posts by Sheila Burke (see all)
- Rid Your Space of Negative Energy: Sage, Cedar, and More - 11/13/2017
- New Gear at Being Better Humans - 11/07/2017
- Man with No Pulse Runs 5K.(Seriously!) - 10/24/2017